Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Project 2 - Layout - Effigy Mounds National Park - Creative Brief

I have chosen Effigy Mounds National Monument as my park.  It was established in 1949 and is in my  home state of Iowa, which is my reason for choosing it.  There are thousands of Native American burial mounds from the midwest to the East coast.  The ones in this area of the country are unique in that they are the only ones that are effigies, or formed in the shape of animals.  There are not activities or tours offered, this is a sacred burial ground and therefore there are no automobiles allowed.  There are however 14 miles of scenic hiking trails, an extensive museum and a gift shop.  For this reason, I'm not exactly certain how the sites will vary for my target audiences other than the typography I may choose and possibly the colors, as each site will contain several of the same photographs.

My first target audience will be Elementary-aged students who may be studying our nation's history in schools.  For them I would like to create a site that has lots of photos of the mound formations to catch their interest and make them eager to learn about Native Americans.  I will use these photos:




My second audience will be foreign tourists who are interested in learning about Native American culture. Again I will be relying heavily on photographs so that the user can understand what the park offers even if they cannot read English.




My last target group will be American tourists who aren't familiar with our nation's rich diversity.  I will gear the site towards discovering our own country's history, learning about Native Americans and interesting educational outings to go on that are less expensive than many of today's family vacations.




The photos I have included here are ideas of what pictures I might focus on for each of the 3 audiences.
All these photos are from the National Parks website.

PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment