Saturday, May 14, 2011

Ladybugs!!!


So when I cut the roses that morning I noticed the leaves were falling off the bush when I would barely touch them.  That and the sheer number of aphids on the stems told me I was already losing the fight.  So on the night of Mother's Day I went online and ordered 1500 LADYBUGS!!!  The instructions said to keep them in the refrigerator until you were ready to use them.  The cold causes them to go into hibernation mode.  I took them out of the fridge while I went outside to water the plant/s that I wanted to attract the ladybugs.  I only put water on the rose bush as it seems to be the plant we both like best!  In the 15 minutes I spent doing this, the lady bugs woke up in their container and what at first didnt look like many bugs turned into a swarm all over our hands when I and my 'lady bug wranglers', Tom and Jessica, released them to their new home!  The instructions also said each of the lady bugs would eat between 50-100 aphids a DAY, that they would be thirsty from shipping, and that if the conditions were right they would settle in, gorge themselves on aphids and start doing what the birds and the bees do in Springtime...   


No comments:

Post a Comment